Thursday, February 11, 2021

Week 3 Story, Student Nepotism

 Student Nepotism

EDITED STORY

The year was 2000. I was in high school. There were the class jocks, who thought they ruled the school but would be soon be forgotten. The cheerleaders and the dance team were too obvious they put all of their value in their looks and social capitol. We had the geeks, academic team, and film nerds but they were never under the impression they were more important they were.

    I on the other hand wanted real power, true power. Student council president. While the other students were busy going to parties and having fun at pep rallies I was running them. Everyone else had to have their mom call or have a Dr's appointment to get out of class, I all I had to do was tell the teacher I had something to do for student council and I was free immediately. 

    I had been planning this run since my 7th grade year. My minions Anna and Matt had been running surveys for months and I was 100% regarded as the most capable for the job. After this my path would be very straight forward. Just as my father was Student Council President I would attend Yale and eventually Harvard Law. My life was completely set and it was exactly how I wanted it. Today was the day I had been waiting for, election day. At 2:55 on this Tuesday in September I would be immortalized forever in my title at Grover Cleveland High School and my policies would secure my reputation.

    I was sitting in Ms. Davenports 7th hour English class with my leg shaking vigorously as I awaited the announcement over the intercom.

Static broke through. I heard Mr. Brown clear his throat. 

"Good Afternoon students, I have the much anticipated election results in front of me."

He rambled on with all the minor positions that I could care less about.

Finally he croaked "And the Student Council President is John Brown." 

I gasped. How could it not be me. I had done everything right only to be discounted by the Principal's  own son?

Author's Note and Bibliography

I based this story off of Ramayana when he was wrongfully exiled and had the title of King taken away from him. The story is told from the point of view of the character based on Rama.

Ramayana Part B, Laura Gibbs





2 comments:

  1. Hey Maddie! I could (slightly) relate to this post because I ran for some student council positions when I was in middle/high school. I did not go for president, though! I'm glad you included the author's note because your story is set in such a different time and setting than the original with Rama, which is cool! The amount of detail you put into your protagonists' future plans is also amusing because I think it's true that a lot of high-achieving young students think like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maddie!
    I really enjoyed how you incorporated Rama’s exile into a “student nepotism” story. It really gives clarity on how nepotism allows some individuals to achieve and attain certain results because of their parents, while others must work harder. I have been in this situation before and had to work harder so I could achieve the same results in high school. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete

Week 15, Story The Turtle Who Won the Forfeit

  The Ox Who Won the Forfeit , Ellen C. Babbitt The Turtle Who Won the Forfeit Once upon a time there was a very fast turtle. He was so fast...