Thursday, April 15, 2021

Week 12 Story, The Hunger Games

 The Banyan Deer , Ellen C. Babbitt

The Hunger Games

It was reaping day. The day everyone dreaded all year long. I had been entered an extra 30 times this year so my family could have more food. This was also the first time my little sister prim had ever been entered into the drawing. This was the first time she was old enough to be entered, only 12 years old.

The Hunger Games was the Capitol's way of punishing us for rebelling 74 years ago. Now each of the 12 districts had to have a boy and girl enter the Hunger Games where they would fight to the death. There could only be one winner. My family and I live in district 12, one of the poorest districts. We had not had a winner come from our district in nearly 30 years.

I got my sister and I ready for the reaping. I did her hair in too pigtail braids and she wore a white dress. My dark hair was in one single braid that wrapped around my head, and I wore a light blue dress. My mother always thought the blue brought out my eyes.

The crowd of people walking to the town square was silent. Every single person afraid of a loved one's name being called or even their own. We had to stand in our own age groups so Prim and I were separated as soon as we got their.

A woman from The Capital stepped onto the stage. Her whole outfit probably cost more than many people made in a year in District 12. She had huge blonde hair, a pink velvet suit, and blue eyeliner. She cleared her throat into the microphone. 

"Hello District 12" she said in her high pitched voice

The crowd was silent. No one amused by what was about to happen.

"Okay well lets get this rolling." She went on as she reached her dainty manicured hand into a giant bowl filled with a bunch of names. My name at least 30 times.

"Primrose Everdeen."

My whole body went numb as the crowd distanced themselves around my little sister. Her name was only entered one time how could it be her. As the guards went to grab her something over came me.

"I VOLUNTEER!" "I volunteer as a tribute." I yelled desperately.


This story is based of the Hunger Games and the Banyan Deer. Katniss is the equivalent to the King deer who chose to sacrifice himself for the mother deer. Primrose is the equivalent to the mother.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Maddy,
    I remember reading this Jataka Tale earlier this semester, but I don't remember giving it the clever parallel you've created here with The Hunger Games. Either you remember The Hunger Games really well, or you read/watched this scene in the book/movie respectively. I say this because your story is exactly how I remember this scene in The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete

Week 15, Story The Turtle Who Won the Forfeit

  The Ox Who Won the Forfeit , Ellen C. Babbitt The Turtle Who Won the Forfeit Once upon a time there was a very fast turtle. He was so fast...